I actually really don't think you fully comprehend what I am saying. The glaciers may have been there for thousands upon thousands of years, that's true. However, the water within them is constantly being recirculated down and out. Glaciers feed major rivers and lakes all over the world, most people know that I think, I was taught that in elementary school I assume you were too. The only way for them to do that is through meltoff, flow. However the glaciers may grow at times even through all of this, not because meltoff has ceased a single bit but because maybe sometimes you get a bit of a longer or snowier winter season, or even in summer as the case at some altitudes or above the arctic circle may be.

Even in antarctica, which is much colder than Iceland, there are fresh water rivers flowing under the ice sheets. there are myriads of fresh water lakes. These lakes and rivers are caused by flow, even in Antarctica where surface temperature stays cold, but the heat rising from the earths interior is enough, and constant, to maintain flow to the rivers and lakes, which eventually drain to the sea.

The rivers in Antarctica are huge, just like the rivers in Iceland. we're not talking a slow drip of water but thousands of tons upon thousands of tons of water moving under the ice at any given moment. And this a constant, irregardless of surface temperature, because heat rises from the earths interior.

As the glaciers melt from the bottom, they are replenished at the top by snowfall. Thus, outwardly, it may appear that they have remained static, unchanged, for thousands of years, they have been there for as long as anyone can remember... and they have been there. But appearances are deceiving. The ice within them is not the same ice that was there a thousand years ago. it is new ice from more recent snowfalls. The glaciers have been melting at their bases the whole time, and melting a lot. Enough to feed the great rivers and lakes of the world. Common sense would tell you that since the sea beneath the glaciers is not rock solid frozen meltoff has always occured at the base. There is no possible way for a glacier to sit in warmer water and not constantly melt, even in Antarctica. And there is no possible way even for glaciers on land or mountain plateaus to not melt at their bases even in the coldest darkest days of a south pole winter because of heat rising form the earth's core. They may appear to melt less during those times because they get more buildup during those times too, but the only way they could ever 'never' melt is if the earth itself would freeze all the way to it's core. and we know that hasn''t happened yet.

I do realize that there is a lot of screwy science out there, and that it is taught to kids, even college students. like this for example:

There are rivers on every continent (except Antarctica).
http://www.enchantedlearning.com/geography/rivers/

Sadly, it simply isn't true and anyone with any knowledge of the river systems of the world that are fed by glacier flow knows it.

Researchers have known about the lakes under the antarctic ice sheets and a couple of major rivers there for years. But within the past several years, because we've had such a sweep of available new technology they've been able to do a lot that they haven't done before, imaging for example. So, what they once thought were a couple major major rivers in Antarctica has now become, with photographing imaging proof (real life examples and photos), not just data based on wishy washy wanna be dates and models etc, hundreds of lakes and hundreds of rivers.

if you want to sit there and rely on the things you learned about glaciers and antarctica in grade school that's fine. but the rest of the world left your type of science behind quite a while ago and has moved on.

ERS-2 helps detect massive rivers under Antarctica

Antarctica May Contain "Oasis of Life"

I suggest you update your so-called knowledge.