Hey y'all, I wanted to address a few things said in the past few messages. First, Linda - with regards to the states (mine being one of them : ) wanting to put creation into curriculums, you can rest assured it would only be a class offered with a different viewpoint. They won't take the actual science out. The teachers are told what curriculum to use, but from what I've seen, they do at least talk about the differing viewpoints whether in text or not anyway here (for the most part). Most are pro-creation so already offer up another viewpoint while having to teach the theories.. From what I've heard, they are trying to establish some classes more religion based, but kids would have the option there. I think the main beef is that evolution is pretty much touted as the only truth when it is, indeed, still a theory. They just want the other side to also be represented, but it would likely be in a religious format.

And now...just to throw in here and give a different viewpoint as a creationist (with an old world slant but not purely so).... And first let me say I am not trying to start anything. I AM a Christian. I know a couple of you on here witnessed SoSick's tirades when I told her I was Mormon (a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints). But my viewpoint is different on some counts than that of Ikester's as an apparently more fundamental Christian.

I didn't grow up any particular way. My parents were believers, but not church goers. They had both been soured on organized religion. My sister and I went to church together from the time I was 3. She was 4 years my senior and we always went to one church or another. Baptist, Church of God, other Baptists, other Church of Gods (more pentecostal types), Salvation Army, etc. I am not a conformist. I would go completely against society if I believe what I'm doing is right. Not that I do it just to be different, but the point is, if I believe something is of God...you will find me there. For example, as a young teen ager (and pretty I might add) I even looked into a church where I wouldn't be able to wear any make up and could only wear dresses and look like a dork, but the way they had me kneel on the floor and chant, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus to work myself up into a frenzy to get the gift of tongues was a complete turn off.

Anyway - We grew up with a father who had served in the Korean war. No one knew this till I found it out from an Uncle years after he'd died but he was a hero during the Pork Chop Hill battle earning two bronze stars. I'm sure he had post-traumatic issues, and was an alcoholic. He died at only 38 when I was 12. I was in 6th grade. The next year I entered Junior High which is already a searching and difficult time and I had just lost my dad. My brother who just died last year was selling pot from our house while my mother worked the day shift. My sister married quite young at 17 not long after daddy died. (She was nearly 16 when he died). I dabbled in a little experimenting briefly, smoked, drank, tried pot, made out, but had a bad experience, (was raped - I was just a baby at this time - 13) and then got back into religion. I got "saved" at a revival and felt really clean and good. Then my search ensued. I tried several different denominations. Had an older boyfriend for a while who was into zen, read up on reincarnation...I was hitting most of the bases. I settled for a time in a little country Church of God where my sister and brother in law went cause I was also looking for guidelines and at least this church had some. The reason I'm going into all this is that I had real questions which what Ikester said reminded me of when he quoted Darwin's supposed quotes. (On a side note: not sure what the source was there...but I've heard that Darwin was actually quite disturbed that people were running with the theory of evolution in a non-Christian way and that he has gotten a bad rap that way. I read that somewhere when I home schooled my girls - and the science teacher I last worked with as a special ed collab teacher (who had a near Doctorate) said the same).

Anyway - if Darwin said that about the New Testament being a damnable book....please do not distort this because I believe the Bible to be very much the word of God...but I can kind of understand that if he did feel that way. Back to my story explaining that viewpoint....
I had lots of questions about interpretations. I was at that age, for one thing, not being willing to just accept the status quo, and I could not understand why there were so many different interpretations of the Bible. My mother use to say, basically, to each his own. We use to argue about inheritance vs. environment... (She irritated me cause she always said I got things "from her." True, but there is also the environmental factor...) That is beside the point - (and we are very close now). But I could not accept, similar to what Russ said on another vein here - that it depended on how you look at it. Either it was true - or it was not. If Christ said something, what did He mean? Is it open to interpretation? In one sense, obviously I agree with Ikester and Bex implicitly conerning the creation and the basic tenets of the Gospel...but my long winded point is that I also could not accept the hell fire and damnation points made Biblically or by preacher's interpretations. It did not ring true to me. My sister use to tell me my father was going to burn in hell because he never accepted Christ as his Savior. My point is, for one thing, (excuse the pun) but how the hell did she know? But if he did not die in a "saved" state - knowing his character and nobility and having the love for him that I did (do) I could not see a loving Heavenly Father punishing my dad for the rough life he had lived which led him to the state he was in. He was not evil. I had a Mormon who had moved into my narrow minded little coal mining town in Southern IL. We discussed what happened after you die and it is the first time it ever made sense to me and was the most loving answer I have ever heard. (And completely Biblical....) I would have to expound on how we do look at life after death and this is long enough - but suffice it to say, that the Bible's wording has been changed through the centuries - there is no debating it. We (Mormons) adhere to its teachings and believe it to be true - so long as it has been interpreted correctly - but we also use other revealed scripture to help clarify some of the "plain and precious teachings" which were lost with the changing of meaning and things taken out. The Book of Mormon, for instance does speak of a burning hell, but goes on to explain that it is not literal (in so many words - I can find the exact reference if anyone is interested). Hell simply has to do with conscience and an awareness of what could have been. It is a state of mind. Both here and in the afterlife. The plan of salvation is perfect.... perfectly fair, perfectly righteous and of a perfect Father with perfect love. If we expect the atonement, Christ pays for our sins (which we still have to repent of, though, no free ride) instead of us and we are forgiven for them, but if not..we have to suffer the consequences. Christ's atonement meets the demand for the law's of justice and mercy.

If you get this far, too, Linear, why did you ask if Moses wrote Genesis? He did...and if you wonder why he did when he wasn't present then in body, at least,...it was through revelation. We have a more detailed account of how he received his information there. He was a prophet, of course, one of the greatest of all time and conversed with God quite literally.

Hopefully all this won't offend any Christians, but it shouldn't. SoSick got very offended when I said we believe the church was in a state of apostasy and that there was a need for a restoration, but that was not meant derogatorily toward her at all. Its not a judgment against her personally. I was only ticked at her when she started quoting a bunch of false anti-Mormon rhetoric without understanding what we're about or even trying to. With regards to other churches, though, I truly believe that no matter what you believe you will have a chance whether in this life or the next to hear the truth and accept it. Even if the fullness of the Gospel, though, isn't received, good people will reap the good lives they live. (I'd have to go into it..)

Anyway - I guess I see some of the accusing on here toward evolutionists as being judgmental and a little harsh. There is some arguing but mainly out of rebellion, I think, for that. I think there is something to evolution (adaption). I do believe, though, in a literal creation. But for whatever evidences that are true that are out there, there IS an explanation which we will one day know for sure. And they will be in harmony with a literal creation...with Adam and Eve as our first parents. And I believe it because it has been revealed. Some things are a test of our faith.... Maybe for some - it is this debate.

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is." Albert Einstein