Home Page

bladder problems in cats

Posted By: Anonymous

bladder problems in cats - 10/02/05 07:15 PM

my male cat had surgery to remove bladder stones over a year ago. He eats a food recommended to prevent the return.
He is now having a problem urinating, not totally blocked, but letting only small amounts at a time & returns to the litter box often. I have seen a drop of blood at the side of the box.
Can anyone recommend anything? I am attempting to get him to ingest potassium citrate, emptying the powder from the capsules & mixing w/some catnip.
Posted By: Marybeth

bladder problems in cats - 10/02/05 07:20 PM

the 'anonymous' posting belongs to Marybeth.
Posted By: Laura Clement

Re: bladder problems in cats - 10/14/05 03:09 AM

Vivian O'Neill, author of The Healthy Pet Herb Guide, has used the following herbal supplements to strengthen kidney function and break up calcium deposits:

Kidney Activator
Alfalfa
Joint Support
Devil's Claw

If you suspect there may be a urinary infection, she highly recommends JP-X

According to The Healthy Pet Herb Guide, dosages will vary according to the weight of the animal. A general rule of thumb is 1 capsule per day for every 25 pounds of body weight for both dogs and cats. If in doubt, start with less and slowly increase the dosage.

I hope this helps!

P.S. Vivian has a new "companion" booklet out now called "More of the Healthy Pet Herb Guide", which contains many case studies from her animal clinic. It's an excellent addition to her first book, and I highly recommend it.
© 2024 The Orbis Vitae Community