Home Page

"...doing good to the poor..." —Benjamin Franklin

Posted By: Russ

"...doing good to the poor..." —Benjamin Franklin - 02/11/10 09:23 AM

"I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer."

- Benjamin Franklin
Posted By: Abigail

Re: "...doing good to the poor..." —Mother Teresa - 04/20/10 03:01 PM

MOTHER TERESA...
IN MY OWN WORDS --

Do we share with the poor, just like Jesus shared with us?
~~~~~~~
Whoever the poorest of the poor are, they are Christ for us--Christ under the guise of human suffering. ~~
~~~~~~~
To be happy with God on earth presupposes certain things: to love the way he loves; to help the way he helps; to give the way he gives; to save the way he saves; to remain in his presence twenty-four hours a day; to touch Him in the poor and in those who suffer.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sometimes people can hunger for more than bread.

It is possible that our children, our husband, our wife, do not hunger for bread, do not need clothes, do not lack a house. But are we equally sure that none of them feels alone, abandoned, neglected, needing some affection? That, too, is poverty. ~ cross
~~~~~~~~~~

© 2024 The Orbis Vitae Community