Home Page

-CREATURE COMFORT --

Posted By: Abigail

-CREATURE COMFORT -- - 05/06/13 11:31 PM

--CREATURE COMFORT
kermit

In his 45 years as proprietor of Cook's Funeral Home in Texas , Jim Cook has comforted thousands of bereaved parents, children and spouses. But four years ago when his wife died of cancer, Cook needed comforting himself. His daughter suggested he get a dog, thinking it would help him feel less alone, and Cook adopted a rambunctious golden retriever pup and named her Abbey.

At the time, Cook was living in an apartment above the funeral home. "Most days I'd take Abbey downstairs with me and let her play in my office while I worked," he said. But then one day Abbey got out and went looking for new friends to play with.

Cook discovered Abbey in the Chapel, curled at the feet of a woman seated in a chair near her husband's casket. Cook apologized profusely for the intrusion, and made as if to lead Abbey away.

"Does she have to go?" the grieving widow asked him. "It's such a comfort, having her here."

Soon, Abbey was sneaking out of Cook's office reglarly and heading straight for one of the funeral home's visitation rooms. "She seems to sense who is most distraught, and that's the person she'll go to first," says Jim. "She'll sit at their feet, perfectly still, and gaze up at them with those compassionate brown eyes of hers, and within minutes they've stopped crying and started stroking her fur."

Off-duty, you won't find a more playful pup than Abbey. She loves to romp and chase sticks and mooch treats from Cook's dinner plate. "But the moment she steps into that Chapel she turns into a completely different dog," says Cook. "She's quiet and respectful. I think she must have a sixth sense of how to behave."

Abbey's only misstep happened back when she was still a puppy, and even that turned out well. "She ate somebody's carnations," Cook explains simply.

Cook rushed out to replace the flowers, but the family wouldn't let him bring them in. "Aunt Mary was a real dog lover," they told him. "You can't imagine how it would have made her smile to see those chewed-up flowers."~~~

Re: -CREATURE COMFORT -- - 05/14/13 03:21 PM

-A Sweet Mama Dog interacting with a child with Down Syndrome.
God has instilled animals with the instict to know when a person 'needs them'. Thanks, Jim for sharing.
You may like to read the comment that Jim posted just after posting the video. So tender hearted. kermit

<http://youtu.be/JA8VJh0UJtg>

Re: -CREATURE COMFORT -- - 06/09/16 06:54 PM

--The 10 Dog Breeds~ / pooh

Re: -CREATURE COMFORT -- - 06/13/16 03:54 PM

--3-D Tiger~
-Not sure where to post this. This man is quite talented. As the questions were asked, he is Hungarian.
Enjoy the amazing artwork, drawing.
goodjob

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVp3I7Eyjqg#t=127>

Re: -CREATURE COMFORT -- - 07/25/19 07:28 PM

--I Heard Her Telling Her Cat!

--SOMEONE CARES~
---PASS IT ON! ~~

--STILL BLOOMING~~

--"Do you want these?" My friend Kristie, a florist, was cleaning out her shop's cooler to make room for new arrivals one day last summer. The flowers were still beautiful. I walked out with a bouquet in hand.

I felt a nudge to take it to my friend Gloria, who lives alone. As soon as she saw the flowers, tears welled up in her eyes. blush "Did you know it's my birthday? she said. I had no idea.

Since then, I've looked forward to whenever Kristie lets me know she has flowers to give away. I put roses on a neighbor's front porch and handed flowers to three other neighbors. One lady was so excited, I heard her telling her cat! smile

The flowers I don't take, Kristie brings to nursing homes. I think we get more joy than the recipients do! smile

--GUIDEPOSTS
© 2024 The Orbis Vitae Community