Chrome Hangs When Loading Websites

Description of Issue

Chrome will work well for some requests but will suddenly hang when trying to load some web pages.

When viewing the list of network requests in the Developer Tools window (F12 key), you can see that Chrome seems to randomly hang when loading html, images, or any files on a page. It will often load part of a page and then hang on random elements of the page. The behavior seems to be random and no patterns to this behavior can be easily found.

Solution

After spending 2 days debugging this issue, I found that the ASUS GameFirst software was causing the issue. This is software from ASUS that optimizes processor priority for selected software. This apparently causes concurrency or racing issues between threads as Chrome uses multiple threads to download and render pages.

By uninstalling the ASUS GameFirst software, the issue disappeared completely and has not returned.

You may also configure GameFirst to not optimize Chrome, although I chose not do to this for my application. You can find usage information for GameFirst here.

I sincerely hope this information saves someone a boatload of time debugging this issue.

Last edited by Russ; 10/16/23 12:35 AM.

The Captian
Today they call you "crazy". Tomorrow they call you "ahead of your time."
Global Skywatch Learn about Chemtrails - You're breathing them now!
OnlyTheBestHerbs.com World-class supplements
Mercury Talk Why you are sick.
OneUp Domains Domains, Hosting, Email
1-800-358-4278 (U.S. & Canada)