I saw a show on the weather channel or someplace just last week for instance that claims there was 4 times as much CO2 in the atmosphere when the earth was young compared to today, for instance.

So, scientists themselves have quite a few major diagreements here it seems. All your data is very impressive... to someone i guess. But unfortunately, not to everyone. I can run a spreadsheet too, with my own calculations based on my own consistencies or lack thereof..

That's either a depressingly defeatist attitude or a self-serving attempt to deny so much as even the possibility that what RAZD is saying may be true.

If it's the latter then there's no point continuing to enter the debate. If it's the former, well, that argument could be applied to anything and everything, leaving us with nothing left to do but throw are arms up in the air and say "There's now way anything in the world can be proved so let's just give up and not bother".

I can certainly understand the confusion of trying to draw conclusions to any mystery - such as an illness, for example - when there are so many factors that we quickly become entangled in a tumultuous web of contradicting facts amidst numerous theories. But I would never advocate that we as humans simply throw are arms up and say there are too many variables to even try drawing a conclusion and that we're all better off simply trusting our emotions and desires. On the contrary, I applaud people for delving into the mass of confusion in attempt to solve the riddles of the universe, and frankly I think RAZD has more of a head start in that endeavor than any other poster in this discussion thus far.

People need to remember that evolution is not a religion, nor is it a belief that anyone would possibly want to desperately cling to in order to make them feel they have hope and salvation. Even if it were disproved tomorrow, those who accept evolution do so out of a desire to uncover truths and find facts - so if they're wrong, all that means is they misinterpreted the data, not that they were led by emotion. I see a lot of accusion from the creationist faction here against evolutionists by citing that they're just clinging onto their beliefs out of desire. This is called transference in the psyhological world - that is, telling other people what you've been told about yourself your entire life and thereby laying the guilt on someone else's shoulders (an example here would be if a lazy person who is routinely reminded of this fault started running around yelling at the world and saying they're all lazy). So it is the religious (myself among them) who cling to their ideals for the purpose of hope. Nobody is stubbornly insisting that evolution is a fact because they feel more hopeful about life/existence from it! They're simply trying to dig for answers and I'm not about to try and stop such a noble pursuit as this.

"I'll see what Russ makes of this."

-CTD