OK, Harun Yahya . . .

Since fossils are usually fragmented and incomplete, any conjecture based on them is likely to be completely speculative.

They are not all fragmented and incomplete. I will list my primary sources for this post here and refer to them accordingly.

Turkana Boy is a nearly complete skeleton of an 11 or 12 year old homo erectus. The skeleton has been dated to approximately 1.53 million years.

We also have Lucy, the famous skeleton of an Australopithecus afarensis, which is about 40% complete.

These transitional fossil skulls are remarkably complete.

These are the ones I am aware of, though I am sure there are more. More recent skeletons such as those of neandertals exist, as do other australopithecines and other early bipedal hominids.

Scientists have plenty of evidence to work with and there are people called paleoanthropoligists whose life's work is to study these fossils, so no, this is not all conjecture as Yahya claims.

The quote given here by Dr. Pilbeam has done the rounds of creationist sites and although no provenance is given for it here, this seems to be traceable to a creationist called Richard Milton, who took it out of context in an effort to try to show a scientist "admitting" that there is little evidence to go on (this was written in about 1980 -- 28 years of archaeological finds have since ensued). Pilbeam was concerned about establishing the "how," not the "if," of evolution. For example, he also said at the time:

Of the primates, the chimpanzee is man's closest relative, while the two other great apes, the gorilla and orang-utan, are slightly more distant evolutionary cousins. The apes and hominids are collectively known as the 'hominoids'. Biologists would dearly like to know how modern apes, modern humans and the various ancestral hominids have evolved from a common ancestor. Unfortunately, the fossil record is somewhat incomplete as far as the hominids are concerned, and it is all but blank for the apes. The best we can hope for is that more fossils will be found over the next few years which will fill the present gaps in the evidence. The major gap, often referred to as 'the fossil void', is between eight and four million years ago.
If you brought in a smart scientist from another discipline and showed him the meagre evidence we've got he'd surely say, "forget it; there isn't enough to go on." Neither I nor others involved in the search for mankind can take this advice, of course, but we remain fully aware of the dangers of drawing conclusions from the evidence that is so incomplete.
Fortunately, there is quite good evidence regarding the ape-like creatures that lived over fourteen million years ago [...]

I'll leave it up to your imagination to pick the bit from the above quote that creationists also like to pull out of its context and quote mine.

I'm not sure what Yahya is trying to get at by calling the hominid drawings here fanciful. He's presented some quite old ones as well. Facial reconstruction based on a skull is a thriving field today, using computers and intricate knowledge of the anatomy of a face. We've changed a few of our depictions accordingly -- they are always our best guess -- but that best guess is getting more accurate all the time. Yahya gives zero credit anywhere here to people who study these things for a living and who might just know a bit about what they are doing.

Yahya's quote from Hooten, again unsourced, is irrelevant. Hooten was working and writing in the first half of last century and had no knowledge of modern facial reconstruction techniques. Yahya has also spelled his name wrong.

Pildown Man is now discussed here. My comments, as previously, are 1.) That not all scientists were fooled by it, and that scientists eventually exposed the fraud; and 2.) It is a logical fallacy to take a fact (this was one fraud) and attempt to make massive generalisations from it (they could all be frauds and no one knows the difference). After studying the history of this, and the fact that too many scientists of the time were too quick to accept what they expected to see without conducting all of the tests available at the time, I don't think it's likely that the same thing could happen today if someone tried to perpetrate the same fraud. We'd get interesting uranium dates from the teeth for a start.

The story of Nebraska Man is made into a straw man by creationists and trumpeted along with Piltdown Man by the "it's all fake and scientists are deceivers" crowd. I suggest you read the facts in the case at the above link.

Ramapithecus is no longer considered a hominid. Why? Because of finds which have been more recent than the information given here. Theories are modified when new evidence emerges; this is how science works. You would not have found a serious scientist then, or now, who claims that we have it all 100% correct. I'm not sure why there's supposed to be something wrong with an artist depicting their best estimation of what an extinct creature would have looked like. Have you seen some of the Victorian engravings of what they thought dinosaurs looked like? We've learned a little bit since then.

In an article titled "Latest Homo erectus of Java: Potential Contemporaneity with Homo sapiens in Southeast Asia", it was reported in the journal Science that Homo erectus fossils found in Java had "mean ages of 27 ± 2 to 53.3 ± 4 thousand years ago" and this "raise[s] the possibility that H. erectus overlapped in time with anatomically modern humans (H. sapiens) in Southeast Asia"

Yes, this is possible. Maybe he's trying to say what you were claiming before Bex: that a parent population co-existing with a daughter population is supposed to be evidence against evolution. What I said was that it's possible for the daughter population to become isolated from the parent population, and that the daughter population could fill a different ecological niche. It's also rather unlikely that if an isolated daughter population encounters the original parent population, the parent population will instantly poof out of existence. I invited you to look at the example of ring species, which can be observed today.

For a long time, evolutionists struggled to prove that Lucy could walk upright; but the latest research has definitely established that this animal was an ordinary ape with a bent stride.

This is wrong, and here is an example of Yahya not telling you the relevant details. It is true that the skull of australopithecus is more similar to that of a chimp, though it has a larger cranial capacity. However, the teeth and jaws are more similar to those of humans. What is more, australopithecus was undoubtedly bipedal, as can be seen from the pelvis, femur and foot. Yahya doesn't want to show you those bits. I have, however, linked to them before, and there is a lot of information out there about this.

These fossil fragments showed that Homo habilis had long arms and short legs just like contemporary apes. This fossil put an end to the assertion proposing that Homo habilis was a bipedal being able to walk upright.

This is a misrepresentation of the facts. Scientists debate about whether to place habilis in the homo or australopithecus genus. You can read about habilis here. What is not in dispute is that this was a bipedal hominid. No serious scientist who knows anything about anatomy claims that it was an ape or that it did not walk upright.

Yahya then goes on to discuss homo erectus. He apparently has decided to say that homo habilis is completely ape-like (false for the above reasons; he has also ignored other transitionals such as homo georgicus and homo ergaster. What's more, the line Yahya draws between human and ape -- supposedly so obviously different from each other -- is typical of creationist confusion on this issue.

He says about Turkana Boy:
This fossil which very much resembled to the Neanderthal race, is one of the most remarkable evidence invalidating the story of human's evolution.

What he says here is such a bunch of phooey that I will ask you simply to read the real science behind this wonderful discovery, as you can do here and here (note what it says about morphology). A note about brain size: it was 880cc, and would probably have grown to about 910cc at adulthood. This is smaller than all but a fraction of 1% of modern humans of all sizes and both sexes. A comparable human brain would be expected to have a brain size of about 1350cc. You can read more about brain sizes here.

Yahya then strays further from fossil evidence and appears to be attempting to make claims for the "humanity" of subsequent hominids by talking about seafaring skills, evidence of clothing, etc. Scientists don't classify them according to whether they sailed ships or wore clothes; remember, paleoanthropoligists decide on the classification of species largely by comparing fossil evidence. Modern evidence, including mitochondrial DNA, sppears to be pointing to neandertals as being a separate species from us and not a subspecies. You can read about them here.

Yahya goes back in time to then discuss homo antecessor. He presents a quote discussing the similarity of the face to those of modern humans, and then insinuates that these were modern humans living 800,000 years ago (YECs take note) and that scientists made up a classification for them because they didn't want to admit that modern humans could be living at that time. This of course is nonsense, as you can read here and here. Yahya is expecting you to take his word for all this, even though the real science is there to be learned at the click of your mouse -- it's up to you to decide to make that click.

I have been unable to find a reference to this 1.7 million year old hut anywhere on the internet. I need to know its provenance in order to verify the assertions here -- where it was found, by whom, what was really said about it by Leakey, and so on. Until that information is presented here, I'm afraid I don't have much faith in the truth of another bald assertion from this site. I'd quite enjoy reading about a 1.7 million year old hut. This is quite extraordinary, considering the fact that mesolithic remains, consisting of little but post holes, are the oldest examples of human habitation outside of caves in Britain. The mesolithic here was rather more recent than 1.7 million years.

Another example showing the invalidity of the imaginary family tree devised by evolutionists: a human (Homo sapiens) mandible aged 2.3 million years. This mandible coded A.L. 666-1 was unearthed in Hadar, Ethiopia.

And no explanation of why this should be the case. We're supposed to take his word for it apparently. There is a picture of this at one of the hominid info links I presented at the beginning of this post, so I'm not too worried that it's going to bring the ToE crashing to its knees.

Recent researches reveal that it is impossible for the bent ape skeleton fit for quadripedal stride to evolve into upright human skeleton fit for bipedal stride.

Lord Solly Zuckerman is one of the most famous and respected scientists in the United Kingdom . . .

Zuckerman was working decades ago and he is not as "eminent" as Yahya would like you to believe, though anyone a creationist gets a quote mine from suddenly seems to come to the forefront of his occupation. Yes, he was a scientist. His views being presented here are are decades old and have been soundly refuted -- but I'll let Jim Foley take this up -- it's late and I'm tired.

In 1950, Wilfred Le Gros Clark published a paper which definitively
settled the question of whether the australopithecines were apes or
not. He performed a morphological study (based on the shape and
function) of teeth and jaws, since these formed most of the fossil
evidence. By studying human and modern ape fossils, Le Gros Clark
came up with a list of eleven consistent differences between humans
and apes. Looking at A.africanus and robustus (the only
australopithecine species then known), he found that they were
humanlike rather than apelike in every characteristic. Judged by
the same characteristics, A.afarensis falls somewhere between
humans and apes, and probably closer to the apes (Johanson and
Edey, 1981). White et al. (1994) did not judge A.ramidus by these
criteria, but it is clear that ramidus is even more chimpanzee-like
than afarensis. The ramidus arm bones also display a mixture of
hominid and ape characteristics.

Solly Zuckerman attempted to prove with biometrical studies (based
on measurements) that the australopithecines were apes. Zuckerman
lost this debate in the 50's, and his position was abandoned by
everyone else (Johanson and Edey, 1981). Creationists like to
quote his opinions as if they were still a scientifically
acceptable viewpoint.

Creationists are also reluctant to accept that australopithecines,
including Lucy, were bipedal. A statement by Weaver (1985) that
"Australopithecus afarensis ... demonstrates virtually complete
adaptation to upright walking" is dismissed by Willis (1987) as "a
preposterous claim". Willis adds: "Many competent anthropologists
have carefully examined these and other "Australopithicine" [sic]
remains and concluded that Lucy could not walk upright." Willis'
evidence for this consists of a statement by Solly Zuckerman made
in 1970; a 1971 statement from Richard Leakey that
australopithecines "may have been knuckle-walkers", and a quote
from Charles Oxnard about the relationship between humans,
australopithecines and the apes.

It is worth noting that two of these three quotes were made before
Lucy, and A. afarensis, was even discovered. Zuckerman's views
have long since been discredited. Leakey was merely making a
suggestion, not stating an opinion, and he has since stated (1994)
that Lucy "undoubtedly was a biped". Oxnard has some unorthodox
opinions about the australopithecines, but he has also stated that
they were bipedal, just not in the human manner (Oxnard, 1987) . . .

As for the ridiculous attempt at the end of this to paint every evolutionist as being complicit in a racist event which happened a hundred years ago, I'll let it speak for itself. No need to mention as well, presumably, the numbers of Christian slave owners who also lived in the past, the numbers of Christians who did nasty things to their fellow humans, many of them creationists as well . . . I don't see that any of this has any place in the discussion of homind fossils.

I'm pretty tired after all this but I wanted to put my money where my mouth is when I say that this is just another site full of bald assertions, PRATTs, misrepresentations, etc. The real science is easy to find if you truly want to look. I'm not ignoring the things you yourself said, Bex; I will adress those. I need to stop here for now though.