R2:
Originally Posted by Russell2
Hi Jeanie

There’s evidence to suggest that other dimensions exist, String theory suggests that there may be 11 but there’s no way to test that at the moment so it’s not really a theory in the scientific sense just a hypothesis.

One of the findings of all this is that, being closed, we can’t know what is ‘outside’ the universe. God could well live out there and we would never be able to know.

In the end we do reach a point where we have to use judgement. Many here don’t like the idea that the universe could appear exactly as it does today without god but all the maths of big bang cosmology and the physical sciences that go with it say exactly that. Many more here have a problem with the idea that evolution could produce the vast array of organisms that we see around us but again all the science suggests exactly that. Science can’t say that there is no god but it continues to show that he is unnecessary, that the universe and life look exactly the way you would expect if there were no god but then, as I said earlier, maybe that’s his plan.

Jeanie: I don't have a problem with however it looks because I believe God uses natural law. However, I still don't think humans had to progress through the evolutionary process to become human and that kinds were made as is and then adapted accordingly as needed or as mutations dictated or whatever. It doesn't destroy my faith if that is what happened.

R2: In the end, so long as you don’t force your beliefs onto others, then if it makes you feel good to believe in god then you should have the freedom to do so.

Jeanie: I agree no one should be forcing their beliefs on others. That is the point of free agency. Belief in God AND his plan, to me, gives life meaning and hope. I imagine if you are in your forties you have experiences the loss of a loved one. During those times it would be nearly inconsolabe to me to think they did not still exist - but if you don't believe life goes on it would limit their importance at the same time IMO. I am idealistic and that is not an option for me but I don't cling to that belief because of that. It is because I have had experiences that verify to me that they are still around....and even watching over me.

R2: Let me ask you one hard question. Don’t answer this till you are feeling better. If someone could “prove to you” that what I have been explaining is the absolute truth about the universe, that god didn’t do it, that god is not involved and probably doesn’t exist, how would that affect your life? No god’s, no afterlife, no souls just human animals trying to make our way in the universe, how would that affect you Jeanie?

Jeanie: There IS no way to prove that... I do not believe it. I KNOW otherwise. Even animals have spirits...... We are just higher intelligences with tremendously more potential. IF for some reason I did believe otherwise it would probably change how I lived, though. I know Mordred has brought up that point. I believe in self actualization on a much larger scale than society in general believes in. What you describe would cause a more cut throat, amoral and depressing situation where people would have no reason not to do whatever it takes to survive. You would still reap what you sowed....but it would be ok as long as you didn't get caught. We could also give in to our more base desires.... (Why not?) Perhaps you're a better person. I just happen to believe that God's commandments are guidelines that help us be happy and living otherwise would not accomplish that. What you propose, though, would mean older people, handicapped people, sick people would be disposable and not valuable. (Other than to those that may love them). But even love would be harder to develop with those beliefs. While I do not believe in judging another person's heart and intent....because only God can truly see into another's heart....nor do I have the right to condemn because I cannot predict a person's future and the decisions he will make down the road....I can see why this belief system could wreak complete havoc with society and why Russ and CTD, etc. etc. fight so heavily against this belief system. (Religion.....)

R2: All the best

Russell

All the best to you, R2

Last edited by Jeanie; 10/02/08 04:57 PM.

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is." Albert Einstein