Aaron,

I looked up some information for you that I thought might help encourage you. The body has amazing recuperative powers. Plus, studies have shown that if you supplement essential nutrients, the body is better able to repair itself, even in situations involving the brain.

For example, I copied the summary from a recent article published in the Alternative Medicine Review:

Degenerative brain disorders (neurodegeneration) can be frustrating for both conventional and alternative practitioners. A more comprehensive, integrative approach is urgently needed. One emerging focus for intervention is brain energetics. Specifically, mitochondrial insufficiency contributes to the etiopathology of many such disorders. Electron leakages inherent to mitochondrial energetics generate reactive oxygen free radical species that may place the ultimate limit on lifespan. Exogenous toxins, such as mercury and other environmental contaminants, exacerbate mitochondrial electron leakage, hastening their demise and that of their host cells. Studies of the brain in Alzheimer's and other dementias, Down syndrome, stroke, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, Huntington's disease, Friedreich's ataxia, aging, and constitutive disorders demonstrate impairments of the mitochondrial citric acid cycle and oxidative phosphorylation (OXPHOS) enzymes. Imaging or metabolic assays frequently reveal energetic insufficiency and depleted energy reserve in brain tissue in situ. Orthomolecular nutrients involved in mitochondrial metabolism provide clinical benefit. Among these are the essential minerals and the B vitamin group; vitamins E and K; and the antioxidant and energetic cofactors alpha-lipoic acid (ALA), ubiquinone (coenzyme Q10; CoQ10), and nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide, reduced (NADH). Recent advances in the area of stem cells and growth factors encourage optimism regarding brain regeneration. The trophic nutrients acetyl L-carnitine (ALCAR), glycerophosphocholine (GPC), and phosphatidylserine (PS) provide mitochondrial support and conserve growth factor receptors; all three improved cognition in double-blind trials. The omega-3 fatty acid docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) is enzymatically combined with GPC and PS to form membrane phospholipids for nerve cell expansion. Practical recommendations are presented for integrating these safe and well-tolerated orthomolecular nutrients into a comprehensive dietary supplementation program for brain vitality and productive lifespan.

Although a lot of this information is quite technical, in essence, the brain requires certain essential nutrients for nerve cell regrowth and repair. Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) is one of these important nutrients, as is DHA from fish oils.

Both of these nutrients are fine to take and are even recommended for people with mercury toxicity. You just have to make sure that you get DHA from a company that rigorously tests their fish oils for mercury and other heavy metal contaminants. NSP does (they adhere to California's Proposition 65 - the strictest legislation in the country), which is why I take their supplements almost exclusively...I obviously don't want to be taking a product that's going to put more mercury back into my body.

In any case, the body is an amazing creation, and getting the mercury out is a huge step toward recovery. I, too, had big problems with loneliness and depression, although I think my pessimism and extreme negativity did more damage for me socially than anything else.

But honestly, getting the amalgams out and then taking my detox slow and steady has absolutely changed my life. I've had up and down days, but the overall trend of my life has been continued improvement. Whereas once I was the most negative person you've probably ever met, I've actually now a fairly optimistic person. And it's all because of the absence of mercury poisoning my body and mind 24/7.

I'm 39 and have never been married or had children. But now that the mercury is out, I'm fine with it. In fact, I now believe it's a tremendous blessing that I'm single, because I can devote myself to my work and helping others and I don't have to worry that I'm neglecting a husband or children.

I'm so free now, whereas before, I constantly felt confined, claustrophobic, stressed-out, fearful, anxious and worried, and like an elephant was constantly sitting on my chest. Life has so much to offer, but I couldn't see that before, no matter how hard my friends tried to show me. It was like a part of my brain wasn't functioning and I couldn't really comprehend anything positive.

I don't mean to carry on. What I'm really trying to do is let you know that a lot of us can identify with what you're feeling. We've been there, in one way or another. But the good news is that there really is hope for a better future. It may not happen overnight, but your life will get better.

The key is to give your body time to heal. If possible, give your body nutrients that will help it heal. Don't try to detox too quickly, because you can really make things worse for yourself. Start simple. Make healthy food choices. Take algin if you can to absorb the mercury so it doesn't get redistributed. Take lots of vitamin C. If you can handle exercising without getting sick, do it in moderation. Sweating is a great way to get rid of toxins. (You may want to take algin before and after because vigorous activity can really stir things up and mobilize mercury.) As you start feeling better and stronger, if you're worried about your brain, take things like CoQ10 and DHA. Lecithin is also good for the brain.

Keep us posted on how you're doing. We're all here to help each other. Your family, friends and/or co-workers may understand what you're going through, but I think it's safe to say WE all do. So, let us know whenever we can help.

Laura Clement
Author, HART Master Reference
Mercury Detox Supplements
My Favorite Amalgam-Illness Book
laura@herballure.com
1-800-358-4278 (U.S. & Canada)
1-207-584-3550 (Worldwide)
1-207-584-5552 (24-hour Fax)