Originally Posted by JK98
Too many people think they have copper overload when they really have a copper deficiency!

According to Ann Louise Gittleman, you can have both issues at the same time. You can appear deficient if the copper is not being utilized by the body correctly (bio availability) or because of the copper being stored in the liver, tissues, and hair and not in the blood. Or both etc.

"Copper toxicity is rare in the general population."

Not according to Ann. Esp. with vegan and vegetarian diets. And lots of other diets that can lead to copper overload. Not to mention outside sources. Then you have Copper being added to multivitamins and birth control pills. If you get the recommended dosage of copper a day and you're taking a multivitamin with copper, that can easily lead to overload.

While I haven't had my copper levels checked, I still feel that I need a copper supplement of around 2 mg a day, as I take plenty of supplemental molybdenum, zinc, and iron.

If you have copper overload, you don't want to be doing that. You want to avoid copper supplementation until your body is able to utilize and store copper properly. Otherwise, you're just adding to the problem. And if you eat foods that have copper in them, you don't need to supplement with copper. You're just doing your body a disservice by adding more.

Those who are doing chelation also need extra copper.

If you're body has an overload of copper, again, you don't want to be adding more.

They pointed out that the upper limit for copper intake for adults is 10 mg.

That is beyond way too much.

What makes you think you have copper overload?

The doctors didn't know what was wrong with me so they tried to label me as depressed (red flag) and wanted to give me medication for it. I definitely said no to that. I believe there is a cause for everything. Things don't just happen. I was diagnosed with sub-clinical hypothyroidism a couple years ago. They wouldn't treat me for it (even though my symptoms were really bad) because my TSH levels were not severe enough. It also might have something to do with the fact that I requested to take Armour instead of the drug counterpart. They didn't like that I was informed. So I decided to search why I developed this condition and came across Copper overload/hypothyroidism and Ann's book "Why Am I Always So Tired?" and everything in the book explained my symptoms and how I felt to a T. I started the no copper high zinc diet and since then, my symptoms have slowly dissipated.

And this all started with a vegetarian diet. After about a year of being on the diet, my hair started falling out and that's when I started developing the thyroid issues among other symptoms that are related to hypoglycemia and pre-diabetes. It also explained how I was as a kid so I was most likely born with it, it just wasn't severe enough. I also was born with one kidney so I only have one adrenal gland. And the adrenals and copper overload are interconnected. I was tested for food allergies because I told my doctors that I found it odd that I felt better when I didn't eat chocolate, soy, milk, and gluten. But the test came back negative. Chocolate, soy, and gluten are high in copper. And milk (high calcium) exacerbates copper overload. It just made sense. And one of the things that Ann recommends in her book is to go with your gut instinct. If you suspect you have copper overload, try the diet. Preferably under the supervision of a doctor.

Last edited by s1e9a8n5; 08/11/10 07:48 AM.