--The Divine/Human Word

--"God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son." (Hebrews 1:1-2) cross

The title of the Word of God is given both to Jesus Christ as the Living Word (John 1:1-3; Revelation 19:13), and to the Holy Scriptures as the written Word (Ephesians 6:17; Hebrews 4:12; etc.). They are so perfectly synchronous that what is said of one can usually be applied also to the other.

Both are human, yet without error; both are divine, yet can be comprehended by man. "God was manifest in the flesh" (1 Timothy 3:16). "Holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost" (2 Peter 1:21). "In him is no sin" (1 John 3:5), "The Scripture cannot be broken," and "all Scripture . . . is profitable" (John 10:35; 2 Timothy 3:16).

Furthermore, each is eternal: "Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever" (Hebrews 13:8). "For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven" (Psalm 119:89).

Each brings regeneration and everlasting life to all those who believe. "He saved us, by the washing of regeneration . . . through Jesus Christ our Saviour" (Titus 3:5-6). "God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son" (1 John 5:11). "Being born again . . . by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever" (1 Peter 1:23). "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me" (John 5:39).

Finally, judgment comes by both Christ and the Scriptures. "The Father . . . hath committed all judgment unto the Son" (John 5:22). "The dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books" (Revelation 20:12). Both Christ and the Bible are vitally important to each Christian and must be studied, understood, known, loved, trusted, and relied upon in every human endeavor.

--ICR/ HMM

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." [John 14:6]